For the news and views you might have missed
From the No on Initiative 1240 campaign:
Last week an unprecedented 20,000 Washington voters joined a state wide conference call to learn about the damaging effect I-1240 would have on our public schools.
Despite a $9 million advertising blitz in support of I-1240, an overwhelming majority of voters on the call said that they preferred reducing classroom size over funding charter schools. By a whopping 3 to 1 margin voters also said they opposed using taxpayer money to fund privately run schools.
With only 6 days left we need your help today to make more calls and get our message out. If you can help, please click here.
Voters understand what’s at stake. During the question and answer portion of the meeting voters expressed concern about I-1240 charter schools taking away local school levy funds and asked why voters have rejected charter schools three times in the past.
Our challenge is reaching more voters with our message and getting them to cast their ballots. Please help with a contribution of $50, $100 or $200 today (click here).
This is our last chance. Ballots are in hand, pens are poised, and some people are still unsure how to vote.
Let’s give them the information they need to make an informed decision on the damaging prospects of Initiative 1240. The undemocratic and unelected board in Olympia, and the uncertainties and instability involved with the charter conversion provision, the divisive and unfair lottery. They need to know!
Help People for Our Public Schools reach voters this week and tell them to vote NO on I-1240!
1. Phonebank – THIS WEEK, Tuesday Oct 30th, Thursday Nov 1 and Monday Nov 5th from 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., as well as from 3:00-8:00 p.m. on Sunday Nov 4th at our office in Seattle, 1914 N. 34th Street, Suite 209. Call (206) 545-1240 to RSVP. Or pick up a phone list and call from home.
Give of your time: Commit to 3 hours of phone time. Of all contact we could make with a voter – paid ads, mail, robo calls – the most compelling, by far, is a personal call from you. Please, give us just 3 hours this week.
2. Doorbelling – This final WEEKEND we will meet in South Park at 9:45 a.m. Sat Nov 3, two shifts: 10:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m. and 12:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Please RSVP by replying to this email. Call (206) 853-7594 that day with questions. Meet us at Via Vadi Cafe 8600 14th Avenue South Seattle, WA 98108.
3. Signs – There are still signs left. Please come by our office to get one. Phone ahead: (206) 545-1240.
4. Donate to the campaign – It isn’t too late to make a difference. Every penny counts!
Make a contribution: Give what you can. But we need contributions in today so we can put your donations to work.
5. Spread the Word – Tell your friends on Facebook & Twitter to Vote NO on I-1240 with the links below.
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
VOTE NO ON 1240!
On behalf of People for Our Public Schools, thank you!
Vote NO! on 1240. Vote by Nov. 6.